MusE Sequencer forum

Full Version: MusE 2.2 Drum maps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

Been using MusE for a little bit now and want to start creating some custom drum mappings for my kit to a sound source.

Compiled the 2.2 src from the muse-2.2.tar.gz on Fedora 20. I actually got a source code compile error but it looks correct. I commented out the code starting
at line 415 and ending on 419 in helper.cpp. Even though the dependency for LV2 seemed to be resolved it was not included anyway. But the error is with a ')' according
to the compiler on both lines below (i'll try to recompile after work and capture the exact message) :

if (type == MusECore::Synth:Big GrinSSI_SYNTH && ((MusECore:Big GrinssiSynth*) synth)->isDssiVst() ) // Place Wine VSTs in a separate sub menu
type = MusECore::Synth::VST_SYNTH;

if (type == MusECore::Synth::LV2_SYNTH && !((MusECore::LV2Synth*) synth)->isSynth() ) // Place LV2 effects in a separate sub menu
type = MusECore::Synth::LV2_EFFECT;

After commenting out the above line and re-building i got a successful muse.

Questions :

Any tutorials on how to create and use different drum maps? I have had no luck. Tried the gui and copying an existing map (the addictive_drums.map) but without sucess.
After modifying the XML for a custom drum map, MusE reads the mapping in fine and displays the new note names and assignments but does not trigger the actual note(s).
I verified the enote and anote tag values and they look correct, actually I have mapped them to the same values. I tried creating the <entry> elements from 0 thru 127 with
empty names for notes that do not map to a sound and tried leaving out <entry> elements for notes that do not actually map to a sound but it did not seem to make a difference.

Sometimes the notes do not produce a sound and sometimes the actual note events are removed from the track (yep, removed).

If I try the re-map menu option or move one of the note mappings in the gui a crash occurs.

What is the difference between old drum track and new? If I were to use the new style I can't seem to find anyway to provide a new drum map.

For notes that are not really mapped to a sound i see the option to hide them. When I do this a red symbol appears but they are still shown, is that correct?

I was thinking maybe to modify the drummap.cpp defaults to the actual mapping I am trying to create and re-build but it seems a bit drastic. I'm wondering if the
lines I commented out are the cause of my problems. If I get some time I may try running the version from the distro repository and see if I get the same behaviour.

Also, not related to drum maps exactly, I sometimes need to split drum tracks by notes to individual tracks, Each event with the same note value on the same track
does this already exist?
Also, filtering. The events recorded from my Roland e-drum kit brain into MusE need to be fixed up (note to note mapping, note + foot controller value to different hi-hat sound)
does this already exist?
I have some custom code that does the last 2 for me but if I can do it inside of MusE that would be nice. Is that something the python scripts could do?

Anyway, Thanks, I think MusE is great!
Hi sfdadds,

I have a question about compile error. What version of fedora are you using? And one more - can you post cmake configure log here?
Though this error is already fixed, I want to know why lv2 dependences were not met.

Thanks,
Andrew
(01-22-2015, 07:09 PM)danvd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi sfdadds,

I have a question about compile error. What version of fedora are you using? And one more - can you post cmake configure log here?
Though this error is already fixed, I want to know why lv2 dependences were not met.

Thanks,
Andrew

Fedora 20. I'll re-compile after work and post the cmake and logs as attachment.

Thanks.
(01-22-2015, 07:15 PM)sfdadds Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2015, 07:09 PM)danvd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi sfdadds,

Thanks,
Andrew

Fedora 20.  I'll re-compile after work and post the cmake and logs as attachment.

Thanks.

Hi Andrew,

theLogs.tar.gz are attached. I did notice that LV2, Python support and Experimental features were not able to be installed even
though they do seem to be available, see file 'theSystemAndMissing.log'.

Thanks.
Hi sfdadds,

Thanks for information!

Here is the reason of the error (from theCompile.log):
-- checking for module 'lilv-0>=0.16.0'
-- package 'lilv-0>=0.16.0' not found

lv2 support depends on lilv library. Install it and everything should work Smile

Regards,
Andrew
(01-23-2015, 05:54 AM)danvd Wrote: [ -> ]Hi sfdadds,

Thanks for information!

Here is the reason of the error (from theCompile.log):
-- checking for module 'lilv-0>=0.16.0'
--   package 'lilv-0>=0.16.0' not found

lv2 support depends on lilv library. Install it and everything should work :)

Regards,
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Good catch, I'll get lilv installed.

Any info on how to do drum maps?

Thanks for all the help.
Hi sfdadds,

(01-22-2015, 06:25 PM)sfdadds Wrote: [ -> ] Questions :
   Any tutorials on how to create and use different drum maps?  I have had no luck.  Tried the gui and copying an existing map (the addictive_drums.map)  but without sucess. After modifying the XML for a custom drum map, MusE reads the mapping in fine and displays the new note names and assignments but does not trigger the actual note(s). I verified the enote and anote tag values and they look correct, actually I have mapped them to the same values.  I tried creating the <entry> elements from 0 thru 127 with empty names for notes that do not map to a sound and tried leaving out <entry> elements for notes that do not actually map to a sound but it did not seem to make a difference.
First a reality check: I noticed some days ago when using the addictive drummap that it opens with all instruments muted. Do check that this isn't the problem.
The old drum video tutorial touched on maps but I didn't think it touches on creating your own.

(01-22-2015, 06:25 PM)sfdadds Wrote: [ -> ]   Sometimes the notes do not produce a sound and sometimes the actual note events are removed from the track (yep, removed).
   If I try the re-map menu option or move one of the note mappings in the gui a crash occurs.
   What is the difference between old drum track and new?  If I were to use the new style I can't seem to find anyway to provide a new drum map.
   For notes that are not really mapped to a sound i see the option to hide them.  When I do this a red symbol appears but they are still shown,  is that correct?

I was thinking maybe to modify the drummap.cpp defaults to the actual mapping I am trying to create and re-build but it seems a bit drastic.  I'm wondering if the lines I commented out are the cause of my problems.  If I get some time I may try running the version from the distro repository and see if I get the same behaviour.
Yeah, sounds a bit drastic Smile
The main difference between the old drum tracks and new ones is that the new ones connect to only one midi device whereas the old one can have different devices for each and every instrument.
The loading of drummaps is done by right clicking on the track for new drum tracks.
I haven't created any drum maps in a long time so I need to check if there are any current issues.

(01-22-2015, 06:25 PM)sfdadds Wrote: [ -> ] Also, not related to drum maps exactly, I sometimes need to split drum tracks by notes to individual tracks,  Each event with the same note value on the same track does this already exist?
 Also, filtering.  The events recorded from my Roland e-drum kit brain into MusE need to be fixed up (note to note mapping, note + foot controller value to different hi-hat sound) does this already exist?
 I have some custom code that does the last 2 for me but if I can do it inside of MusE that would be nice.  Is that something the python scripts could do?
Good questions.
I don't have any immediate answers but I'll try to check this up.
The filtering should definitely be an easy task for the scripting but I'm not sure for the track splitting, haven't tried using it like that but I'm intrigued and will give it a go. Smile
Why do you need to split the drums to individual tracks by the way?

(01-22-2015, 06:25 PM)sfdadds Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway,  Thanks,  I think MusE is great!
Thank you Smile
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, now I do see where the new drum track mapping is selected.

The drum maps do come up with each sound muted but, only when switching from a old style drum track to new. Then
after right clicking the 'new style' drum track and selecting 'load tracks drumlist'. This seems to only occur after
the warning that the drummap was created with a previous version and is being read but some adjustments may be needed
since the format has changed.

If the drum part editor is already open when switching from old to new then notes are not visibly muted but,
closing and re-opening the drum part editor will show that the notes are muted if the addictive_drums.map was
loaded.

After selecting a new drum mapping the only way to get the sounds back to the original (with old style) is to select
Reset GM Map.

The splitting of notes to separate tracks is exactly what you describe the old style drum tracks being able to
already do, assign each 'unique individual drum sound/note' of a drum track to a separate device. Folks I send the
midi drum parts to want each drum, cymbal and hi-hat sound (no foot controller events) separated. So in Cubase or
whatever they use they can isolate each drum, cymbal and hi-hat sound then direct it to whatever sound sources they have.
Guess MusE is not on Windows or Mac yet Wink I did not realize that the midi channel and port for each note could be
assigned to a different sound source device in the old style drum track. This is an excellent feature. Most of the new
software is just getting to this point. Hope 'old style' does not mean going away. Seems like the only way to get around
the MIDI spec problem.

Checking the port/channel in a new style drum track caused a crash. I'm guessing these should not really be changed
in a new drum track since all notes will be going to the same device/channel? This only happened after right-clicking
the heading of the drum part editor and selecting Port then Ch.

What do the red/blue symbols mean in the 'hide instrument' column in the drum part editor mean? They don't seem
to hide or mute the sound.

How and what do the four (4) different 'LVL' settings do? Layering, routing or a different sound?

I noticed that no matter which drum mapping is chosen that there seems to be a default order Bass and Snare at
the top even though the actual MIDI note number is very low in the mapping (octave 0 or 1, note number below 30).
Is this just because of the trouble I'm having?

Anyway, I'm gonna get the lilv installed and re-build 2.2. The distro version has the same behaviour as 2.2
when working with the drum patterns.

I'll see if I can find the old tutorial on drums also.

Thanks.
Hi Man,

I have to small screen to see all your questions while I'm typing, todays 1st world problem ;D

Yeah, I noticed the muting only occurs when going from the old drum maps into the new drum editor.
The old drum editor isn't going away so you don't need to worry. Maybe we will change the names but it will be there.
Florian, who implemented the new one, felt that the old one was hard for new users, since it allows for so much flexibility.
Which I see is exactly what you are after. Smile  I think it might have been what you had problems with also.
When you got sound -sometimes- I wonder if the reason could have been because the output device was not defined for that particular instrument?
To set all instruments in the drum list to the same device you can hold the control key while opening and selecting a device in the popup menu.

Having editors open while making changes like adding a drumlist or changing track type will probably not update the open editor. I guess it's a bug but not a prioritized issue so I hope you can live with it. Do feel free to report it as a bug on the bug tracker, someone might do something about it Smile
I see you got a crash changing port changing port/channel, seems related to the above, if you report it to the bug tracker that would be good.

Oh, hide instrument... you know, I have no idea Big Grin They work really badly for the new drum track also. Maybe we should disable that column, atleast until someone remembers what it is Wink

The LVL columns are for manual editing, if you hover with the mouse above each column you will see how to use them.

I never tried connecting anything but a keyboard to MusE. Your drumkit outputs lower keys then? I'll try to mock something up and see if I understand what you mean.

Thanks,
Robert
Thanks Robert.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all the good information.

Good news, lilv installed and all re-built fine. There are now oodles of lv2 synths and effects available in the menu. More effects than fit on my two screens combined.

I noticed in one of the demos there was a lv2 drum synth but can't remember the name. I know of simpledrums and drumkv1 but the one shown escapes me now. I use
drumkv1 for most stuff and it works very well and it's easy. I believe the author of drumkv1 Rui Nuno Capela is another one of those with exceptional abilities. Seems there
are many in the Linux developer community.

Actually the drum editor is really good. Just a matter of assigning the correct note to trigger the correct drum sound. The problem is when folks like me want to move
everything around so each drum is where I think it should be. The hide feature would be nice since out of 128 notes most drum kits would use 20 maybe 30 different sounds
and the empty ones just add to scrolling. I think that's why the bass and snare are always at the top, maybe the standard gm drum sounds have been moved to the top
and I missed it.

I'll look into the LVL column a bit more to see how to use it.

Have not used the bug tracker, I'm not sure they are bugs. Could be IO errors on my part.

Thanks.

The crash on new drum style, not sure if i still had the drum part open when I switched from old to new, could be the problem. I agree, the drum part window should not
be open when switching.
Pages: 1 2