MusE Sequencer forum

Full Version: copy parts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Robert,

i have a VST instrument and a midi track that contains a part with CC information to control the knobs of that VST.
This works.

Then i copy this part, put it after the old one and run.
The old part moves the knobs of the VST, the new one does not.
Why?
Shouldn't a copy of a part do exactly the same thing as the original one?
Hi Menno,

Indeed the copy should do exactly the same thing.  You can check their contents with the list editor (shortcut ctrl+L) and see that they contain the same CC events.

Are you sure it is the CC events that move the knobs? If you did the midi-learn operation it may be automation that moves the knob. If that is the case the recorded CC events are probably not the ones that the synth listens to (ex CC18 which was brightness for the cheezemachine, as I recall).
I know this may be difficult to come to terms with but there is logic to it.

Lastly, I did a quick test without using an external midi controller.
1. Created a midi part and connected it to the cheezemachine synth
2. opened the pianoroll for this midi part, added the brightness ctrl and drew a curve for it.
3. played back the part and the knob in the cheezemachine gui moves.
4. I duplicated the part and played again and both of them does the same thing and moves the knob.
Hello again,
I did another test, now with my external usb keyboard connected. Basically what I wanted to test was the midi input transform, to see that it really is possible to use the CCs that are available on your external keyboard and transform them to what the synth expects.

The external keyboard I used is a tiny 2 octave keyboard with a pitchbend and modulation joystick.
Modulation I found out is CC1 and the brightness of this synth we have been speaking about is CC18.
So to make this work I tried setting up a transform that moves CC1 values to CC18.

here is a screenshot of how it looked:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2fp1ithso86t3...t.png?dl=0

And it did work, but I don't think this is entirely bug free. If you notice the pianoroll, it shows a parameter Gen.Purp.3, the yellow part is where I moved the joystick. This should really have been recorded on the Brightness controller that is already in the menu, apparently MusE does not realize it is the same thing when it comes in to the track this way.

I also tried to find out if this really work with multiple controllers mapped but as I only have pitch bend and modulation it was hard. Pitch bend did behave wierd but since it's not very similar I actually think it might work. I set up a second CC mapping and the CC1->18 mapping continued to work at least. Not sure what the MODULE part in the lower right does though..

I hope that helps,
Robert
After a few weeks experimenting we have come up with a (final) solution for all of our Muse problems - so it seems Tongue
Because the Automation system in Muse is not fully mature yet, we are now using only the midi capacities of Muse. We do not open a VSTi inside Muse anymore, but we use the midi tracks and output ports of Muse to spit out their information to the VSTi's that we have opened in Carla. The VSTi settings can be saved with Carla and load them back in.
Muse is used to record, playback and modify the midi parts in the midi tracks.

The CC's produced by the Midi controllers are recorded in the midi parts, which can later be moved and copied. 

Because Muse is running on the Slave computer in our Jack Transport system, we can make use of the "Jack" button to get out of the Jack System from the Master computer, do some individual work and get back in sync by clicking this "Jack" button a second time.
And that's what we were looking for...

I have updated the Wiki blog page so that interested users might benefit from: https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/wiki/...Connection

Thanks again Spamatica, for all of your assistance!
Alright, good that you got it working in a way. We'll work on improving the overall functionality Smile

And thanks for letting me know!