MusE Sequencer forum
cannot verify playback - Printable Version

+- MusE Sequencer forum (http://muse-sequencer.org/forum)
+-- Forum: MusE Forum (http://muse-sequencer.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Getting Help (http://muse-sequencer.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: cannot verify playback (/showthread.php?tid=163)

cannot verify playback - evanjmundy - 08-03-2016

Hello.  I recently began using "Lubuntu" more extensively.  I have used MuseScore in recent years on KDE Mini-me, LXDE, and Windows 7.  I do not have an open audio device at this time,
so I am using the T5212 E-machines Realtek based motherboard codec as Alsa in Lubuntu and in MusE.  I am a user, not a developer.  Although I am concerned about timing anomoly
that can occur at Alsa's current stated 250hz operation, I am more concerned at this stage with just confirming audible playback of any kind.    I have confirmed audio file .wav playback
is audible/operational.  However my available midi interfaces seem to be unsupported.  I tried:  Motu Pocket Express (parallel); Midiman Biport 2x4 (serial); and a more contemporary interface:
a "USB2.0-midi"  interface. The last one gives signs of a form of recognition, but is unusable.  I have used this device in LXDE with Muse Score, and am prepared to reassign it to MusE/
Lubuntu  permanently. Also, I am confused about Alsa playback of softsynths. I am using Pulse Audio Volume control, and I tried "Alsa Modular Synth" after the above mentioned midi interfaces did not verify audible playback via Alsa/Pulse. I am interested in active Jack process, but I guess without a supported midi interface such as USB Midi-sport,
 I am stuck with Alsa.  I expected that softsynths would playback through Alsa but they won't so far.  I attempted to configure the list that includes "fluid synth".  Other programs have generic
sound fonts that activate upon software installation.  Must I download soundfonts to expect any softsynth playback?  If so, is this prioritized over the remaining list of softsynths?  I have
some of my own soundfonts, but I would rather use a synaptic download, thank you.  But I would rather use a non-soundfont soft synth first to verify Alsa playback.  I experimented with
"QT" and a Jack package, but they must not have integrated with Alsa/MusE, because we could not find a formula for verified Alsa playback.  I am familiar with the score notation process
in MusE, and the demo .mid files and I used these as a basis for attempted softsynth playback.  So can I get softsynth playback with my current configuration, or is there particular
syntax I should enter in a terminal,  or should I be prepared to skip all this until I can aquire a supported midi interface? I should also mention that I currently must use a midi keyboard,
not a sequencer for midi input.
Sincerely, Evan Mundy  Evan@mundy.xyz

RE: cannot verify playback - AndrewP - 08-12-2016

If your midi interface works with ALSA, then it should be usable with Jack too. (Via a2jmidid oder with the -X seq or -X raw arguments.)

Fluid Synth supports Jack or ALSA, but you have to start it with the right options (--audio-driver=...).

You can verify your ALSA devices and connections with aconnect (aconnect -il) or aconnectgui.

RE: cannot verify playback - spamatica - 08-12-2016

Hello Evan,

Very sorry for the delay, I starting replying long ago but got side tracked..

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: Hello.  I recently began using "Lubuntu" more extensively.  I have used MuseScore in recent years on KDE Mini-me, LXDE, and Windows 7.

Just so you know, MusE was created by the same author as MusEScore but it was a long time ago, at this point they aren't that similar anymore.

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: I do not have an open audio device at this time, so I am using the T5212 E-machines Realtek based motherboard codec as Alsa in Lubuntu and in MusE.  I am a user, not a developer.  Although I am concerned about timing anomoly that can occur at Alsa's current stated 250hz operation, I am more concerned at this stage with just confirming audible playback of any kind.    I have confirmed audio file .wav playback is audible/operational.  However my available midi interfaces seem to be unsupported.  I tried:  Motu Pocket Express (parallel); Midiman Biport 2x4 (serial); and a more contemporary interface: a "USB2.0-midi"  interface. The last one gives signs of a form of recognition, but is unusable.  I have used this device in LXDE with Muse Score, and am prepared to reassign it to MusE/Lubuntu  permanently. Also, I am confused about Alsa playback of softsynths.  

Ok that's a lot of information.
Have you seen the videos available on the homepage? I would recommend watching the first few videos on how to get MusE going.
http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php/Tutorials

To give a brief startup here, I don't know what might be wrong with the midi interfaces, these days I'm hoping most interfaces should be supported..
Anyway, unless you want to use MusE purely as a midi sequencer, you need jack running. I have noticed that sometimes *buntu starts jack in the background without letting you know and not connecting it to anything, leading to total silence.

1. running the command 'jack_control exit' in a terminal will make sure there is no jack started by the OS
2. start jack. I usually start it in a terminal but the most user friendly is probably to install qjackctl and use the start button in that.

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: I am interested in active Jack process, but I guess without a supported midi interface such as USB Midi-sport, I am stuck with Alsa.

I think you are mixing apples and oranges here. the midi interface is very likely connected through alsa. In turn Jack can use the interface to receive and send midi, it Jack is setup to do that.

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: I expected that softsynths would playback through Alsa but they won't so far.  I attempted to configure the list that includes "fluid synth".  Other programs have generic sound fonts that activate upon software installation.  Must I download soundfonts to expect any softsynth playback?  If so, is this prioritized over the remaining list of softsynths?  I have some of my own soundfonts, but I would rather use a synaptic download, thank you.  But I would rather use a non-soundfont soft synth first to verify Alsa playback.

We have discussed bundling a soundfont but this far MusE only provides the plugin so to get FluidSynth to make sound you need to manually load a sound font in it's gui.
FluidSynth is a solid choice for testing MusE, but only if you have loaded it with a soundfont.

The Organ is otherwise a good choice BUT you need to tweak the parameters, unfortunately it defaults to giving no sound when run under 64bit.

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: I experimented with "QT" and a Jack package, but they must not have integrated with Alsa/MusE, because we could not find a formula for verified Alsa playback

Qt and Jack are building blocks that MusE is created with but they do not directly have to do with softsynths (well, jack is somewhat relevant).

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: I am familiar with the score notation process in MusE, and the demo .mid files and I used these as a basis for attempted softsynth playback.  So can I get softsynth playback with my current configuration, or is there particular syntax I should enter in a terminal,  or should I be prepared to skip all this until I can aquire a supported midi interface? I should also mention that I currently must use a midi keyboard,
Sincerely, Evan Mundy  Evan@mundy.xyz

I have an old demo song which initiates a few synths and audio tracks with effects and automation, it also includes some sample soundfonts. For some reason I never got around to complete it. Anyway, here it is, maybe it gives some insight to what you are missing.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jerkxem5xuktmjr/muse_demo_spamatica_2.tar.gz?dl=0

Regards,
Robert

RE: cannot verify playback - evanjmundy - 09-03-2016

(08-12-2016, 07:05 PM)spamatica Wrote: Hello Evan,

Very sorry for the delay, I starting replying long ago but got side tracked..

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: Hello.  I recently began using "Lubuntu" more extensively.  I have used MuseScore in recent years on KDE Mini-me, LXDE, and Windows 7.

Just so you know, MusE was created by the same author as MusEScore but it was a long time ago, at this point they aren't that similar anymore.

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: I do not have an open audio device at this time, so I am using the T5212 E-machines Realtek based motherboard codec as Alsa in Lubuntu and in MusE.  I am a user, not a developer.  Although I am concerned about timing anomoly that can occur at Alsa's current stated 250hz operation, I am more concerned at this stage with just confirming audible playback of any kind.    I have confirmed audio file .wav playback is audible/operational.  However my available midi interfaces seem to be unsupported.  I tried:  Motu Pocket Express (parallel); Midiman Biport 2x4 (serial); and a more contemporary interface: a "USB2.0-midi"  interface. The last one gives signs of a form of recognition, but is unusable.  I have used this device in LXDE with Muse Score, and am prepared to reassign it to MusE/Lubuntu  permanently. Also, I am confused about Alsa playback of softsynths.  

Ok that's a lot of information.
Have you seen the videos available on the homepage? I would recommend watching the first few videos on how to get MusE going.
http://muse-sequencer.org/index.php/Tutorials

To give a brief startup here, I don't know what might be wrong with the midi interfaces, these days I'm hoping most interfaces should be supported..
Anyway, unless you want to use MusE purely as a midi sequencer, you need jack running. I have noticed that sometimes *buntu starts jack in the background without letting you know and not connecting it to anything, leading to total silence.

1. running the command 'jack_control exit' in a terminal will make sure there is no jack started by the OS
2. start jack. I usually start it in a terminal but the most user friendly is probably to install qjackctl and use the start button in that.

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: I am interested in active Jack process, but I guess without a supported midi interface such as USB Midi-sport, I am stuck with Alsa.

I think you are mixing apples and oranges here. the midi interface is very likely connected through alsa. In turn Jack can use the interface to receive and send midi, it Jack is setup to do that.

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: I expected that softsynths would playback through Alsa but they won't so far.  I attempted to configure the list that includes "fluid synth".  Other programs have generic sound fonts that activate upon software installation.  Must I download soundfonts to expect any softsynth playback?  If so, is this prioritized over the remaining list of softsynths?  I have some of my own soundfonts, but I would rather use a synaptic download, thank you.  But I would rather use a non-soundfont soft synth first to verify Alsa playback.

We have discussed bundling a soundfont but this far MusE only provides the plugin so to get FluidSynth to make sound you need to manually load a sound font in it's gui.
FluidSynth is a solid choice for testing MusE, but only if you have loaded it with a soundfont.

The Organ is otherwise a good choice BUT you need to tweak the parameters, unfortunately it defaults to giving no sound when run under 64bit.

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: I experimented with "QT" and a Jack package, but they must not have integrated with Alsa/MusE, because we could not find a formula for verified Alsa playback

Qt and Jack are building blocks that MusE is created with but they do not directly have to do with softsynths (well, jack is somewhat relevant).

(08-03-2016, 07:54 PM)evanjmundy Wrote: I am familiar with the score notation process in MusE, and the demo .mid files and I used these as a basis for attempted softsynth playback.  So can I get softsynth playback with my current configuration, or is there particular syntax I should enter in a terminal,  or should I be prepared to skip all this until I can aquire a supported midi interface? I should also mention that I currently must use a midi keyboard,
Sincerely, Evan Mundy  Evan@mundy.xyz

I have an old demo song which initiates a few synths and audio tracks with effects and automation, it also includes some sample soundfonts. For some reason I never got around to complete it. Anyway, here it is, maybe it gives some insight to what you are missing.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jerkxem5xuktmjr/muse_demo_spamatica_2.tar.gz?dl=0

Regards,
Robert

To posters:
    Thank you for your replies.  I am a long-time user of Windows and a recent user of an Ubuntu;
specifically : Lubuntu.    I was confused about "root" here in Lubuntu.   I assumed that when Lubuntu requested
my login pw for access to features like the package installer, that a full root process was active and available
to me in reference to the musE online installation instructions.  However the resolution of my rtc timer
frequency discrepancy could not be resolved at first.  Although I used "sudo muse" and the timing frequency was actually reset,
my goal of using a midi interface and midi keyboard in musE was not resolved.  So I installed full root from the terminal; and only then
was I able to write the instructions that are given in 2 suggestions after the opening info about root in the musE
installation primer.  Only after writing the 2nd of the 2 alternate suggestions  did both frequency and midi resolve.  However, I was unaware
that security updates had ended for my kernel and for my "current hardware enablement".  I had not booted Lubuntu for a good while;
instead I had been focusing on other priorities.  So I had subsequent computer problems that
may be attributed to the root install in a terminal on-line process.  Could I have done this in the package manager?
Perhaps not.  I feel that I should decide what I am doing with updating or replacing my distribution,
and that implementing any post suggestions may be meaningless until updating or replacing  the distribution is done.   I have restored my desktop
after troubles, but not very comprehensively.  I beleive it would only be logical to attack an additional problem of a "jack"
discrepancy after I decide whatever I am doing with distributions in Lubuntu.    I'll mention that I have no plans to use alternate
hardware at the present time on Lubuntu, and I do not want to work off-line exclusively on a Lubuntu partition.  I definitely
will refer back to your suggestions, but it is difficult for me individually to define a time frame for doing so.
Sincerely, Evan Mundy