Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VST trouble to control
Hi,
i am taking this thread to this forum as it seems like to most active one.

My problem was that the VST did not respond to my recorded CC data. I use LinuxMint17.2, KXStudio, Muse version = 2.2.1

- the VST is a dll, Alfa Free VST
- the ddsi-vst bridge works fine, it is very stable

What i do:
- rightclick in the Automation part of the track of the VST
- choose, for example, CC33 of my midi controller
- assign and midi learn it to, for example, the filter cutoff of the VST. When i move the slider of my midi controller, i see the knob of Alfa Free moving. This means the connections is made
- i record the CC33 in a midi track that points to ALfa Free and can confirm that the movements have been recorded.
- But when i play back the track, the VST cutoff filter does NOT move although it should receive the midi CC33 - and that is the part that i do not understand.
I assigned CC33 to a function in the VST instrument but it does not respond when played back?

What am i doing wrong?
The .med file is attached.
(10-23-2015, 10:56 AM)Hello Menno, sorry for the delay, again.First I have a little vendetta with the forum, I\ve set it to mail me when there Wrote: - the VST is a dll, Alfa Free VST
- the ddsi-vst bridge works fine, it is very stable

With this you mean that it works with other synths?

What i do:
- rightclick in the Automation part of the track  of the VST
- choose, for example, CC33 of my midi controller
- assign and midi learn it to, for example, the filter cutoff of the VST. When i move the slider of my midi controller, i see the knob of Alfa Free moving. This means the connections is made
- i record the CC33 in a midi track that points to ALfa Free and can confirm that the movements have been recorded.
- But when i play back the track, the VST cutoff filter does NOT move although it should receive the midi CC33 - and that is the part that i do not understand.
I assigned CC33 to a function in the VST instrument but it does not respond when played back?

What am i doing wrong?

It seems to me you are doing it perfectly right.

I tried the same now on this installation and with FreeAlpha.dll I can record midi automation with my keyboard and have the synth play it back just fine. I also tried restarting MusE and loading the song again, it seems to behave as expected.
As you are also using kxstudio it seems our setups are very similar.

Please try some other synth and see if this problem is universal.
Maybe there are versions of the FreeAlpha synth that have a bug. The one I have installed seems to be 2.03.

My midi keyboard only has the pitch controller that I can use for entering automation. Since I currently can't test it, possibly there is a bug in MusE if you use another controller. So if you can, see if makes a difference using pitch bend. I doubt it though.

The .med file is attached.
Haven't looked at the med file yet but I don't think it will reveal anything.

Regards,
Robert
Aaaand. Just about when I pressed send I realized there is another explanation.

MusE does receive and react to midi controllers but they are not recorded unless the channel-strip is set to receive them.
At the bottom of the synth channel-strip there is a button that normally says Read, change it to Touch. Now when the automation is done it will be immediately recorded. This is actually independent of the usual recording procedure so you don't need to record to insert automation.

So, here's hoping this was your problem Smile

Regards,
Robert
i don't understand why it does not work like it should, i have tried everything that could be logical. Also the Read, Touch and Write option.

But we have found a workaround: We load CarlaLV2 as a LV2 plugin and choose the Carla Rack. This allows loading VST dlls and we can move the VST buttons ( it shows in the GUI).
Muse saves all the connections and plugins and the recorded controller data.

So we will go from there - thanks for trying to help.
If at some point i will find the "normal" solution to move and record the button of VST dlls i will post this Smile